WHAT IS MEDKAZ®?
MedKaz is a digital system that reimagines how to manage and share personal health records. Its unique approach makes it possible for care providers to practice better medicine and annually save tens of thousands of patients from unnecessary pain — even death — and billions of dollars.
Instead of following the conventional approach of trying to link provider silos on the fly via electronic networks, MedKaz aggregates a patient’s complete record from all his or her providers, and the application to manage them, on a MedKaz mini drive which the patient owns, carries on a key ring or wears, and gives to their providers when they need care. It is automatically updated for them following each encounter.
The key MedKaz benefit for care providers is that it gives them immediate access — in one place — to copies of their patients’ personal information, and their records from all their providers, anytime, anywhere a provider needs them — something provider EMR systems cannot do. They include complete progress notes, lab and operative reports, plus brief summaries of their issues, meds, allergies, immunizations, etc. for instant access by their providers and emergency responders. They no longer must rely on a patient’s incomplete record or waste time trying to assemble their patient’s records from multiple sources.
This immediate access to a patient’s complete medical record dramatically reduces the clinician’s risk of committing a costly medical error, and generally precludes the need to reschedule visits, order unnecessary tests, or reorder recent tests and procedures because their results aren’t available at the point of care.
MedKaz also is an important communication platform. It enables patients to review their records and correct mistakes if there are any, better manage their care, and automatically share their records with anyone they choose, including loved ones (think elderly parent with adult children), care givers, and researchers. In turn, loved ones and care givers can help patients manage their own care, so their providers needn’t pay a nurse or social worker to do so.
Finally, MedKaz is a system both patients and providers can trust. It is available today, secure, simple to use, inexpensive, requires no special training or costly networks, blends seamlessly into a provider’s workflow, works even during power and internet outages and generates new profits for provider practices, clinics and hospitals.
HOW DO YOU USE IT?
First, your patient gives you her MedKaz anytime you treat her — in the exam room, ER, ambulance or elsewhere. As shown in the attached graphic, you plug it into a free-standing computer NOT into your EMR-connected laptop or terminal. This protects both your system and your patient’s MedKaz from possible corruption. A laptop for this purpose costs less than $1,000. The new income MedKaz generates will cover this nominal cost many, many times over (see sixth point below)!
Second, when you log onto her MedKaz it generates a remarkable report: an up-to-the-minute Health Summary which you can read in 30 seconds and be up to date with all her issues and care — even if she forgets to tell you something! No other system provides anything comparable!
- It opens in a simple browser, requires no special training, and saves you three to six minutes with each patient.
- It lists all her current and past serious health issues, both acute and chronic, some which you treat, some which were or are being treated by others.
- It also lists her meds, allergies, immunizations, and recent visits to other providers since she last saw you, including the reason/complaint for each visit. (If she’s a new patient, it lists all her visits to care providers for the prior six months.)
Third, you proceed as you normally do: You talk with and examine her.
Fourth, when you want to know more about a particular issue or care provided by others, you search her MedKaz with only two or three clicks.
- Each document containing the search term displays in a browser just as happens with a Google search, with the most recent document open and the search term highlighted.
- You simply click from key word to key word and document to document to quickly find the specific information you are looking for. Then, with your patient’s permission — she enters her password — you can print the note or download it directly to your system.
- Also, as you examine her you can click on QuickView from any page to see a recap of key information in the Health Summary, plus a list of your patient’s current care providers, advance directives, emergency contacts and insurance information. EMT providers can also access this QuickView information if the patient is unconscious.
Fifth, you enter your notes into your charting system.
Sixth, your Medical Record Department uploads a copy to our MedKaz Server via secure DirectMessaging. The copy may consist solely of a pdf document or include structured data. (You are paid to upload your patients’ records. Down the road, we believe your patients’ employers and insurers will give MedKaz to your patients as a benefit and pay you for using it when you treat them.)
- Our Server makes the pdf document searchable and emails your patient to download it to her MedKaz. (If we received both a pdf and structured data from you, when your patient downloads her record it will include both.)
- It also emails others your patient has designated to receive copies of her records, such as loved ones, care givers, or researchers, to download the record. If they have a MedKaz, they can download your record directly to it — both the pdf and structured data if you submitted both. They can print it or save it as a pdf document on their computer. (MedKaz is designed to hold multiple parties’ records. Parents can include their children’s records, a husband his wife’s records and vice versa, care givers their patient’s records, patients their pet’s records, etc.)
- If your patient has instructed MedKaz to send a copy of your record to her other care providers, our MedKaz Server immediately “pushes” a copy — including both pdf and structured data if you provided both — to each designated provider so they can promptly notify you if your treatment will conflict with their care program and harm your patient. Similarly, our Server “pushes” copies of her records from her other doctors to you so you can catch possible conflicts with your care program.
Lastly, your staff can use your patient’s MedKaz to update your records about her, such as her contact information, insurance coverage, personal contacts, and advance directives.